Sunday 23 April 2023

'The Headshunt' - Taking a Trick-Shot

As alluded to in my previous post I have been considering the design of a new diorama to fit in a small photographic lightbox. Although I like that design, over the weekend I had a little play to see if there is an alternative, involving the recently refreshed 'The Headshunt'. 

When taking the most recent pictures of 'The Headshunt' I had been working in the shed with a basic LED strip light, but for the background I had used a large matt white plastic photographic sheet that my wife had picked up very cheaply. In the past I had always photographed this diorama on my desk using my standard desk lamp and whatever was to hand as the background, so the thought occurred to me that the sheet might be useable in the same way. The experimentation began... this is the set-up used, with a bonus glimpse of the new storage box being used as a height booster.


A pretty standard 3/4 shot. This is very satisfactory but I must trim the longer grass strands!


The awkward reverse-shot. Pleasingly the new grey edging is almost invisible in this and the next shot compared to the old black strip. My thoughts were turning to ways to reduce the white space, wondering if standing a carriage there might be the answer. 


Looking down the line. An anecdote from the rebuilding process is that I managed to snap the point lever during the work, hearing it ping across the shed never to be seen again. A new lever was found and colour matched to the original base.


The next day I thought I would try out the carriage trick for a shot pointing to the left, I think this works rather well and I'm baffled why I have never thought of it before!


This led to a further thought (dangerous, I know...) of a 'prop' of a half-coach that could be placed at the far left, and in combination with a couple of figures posed in conversation could "fill the gap" in photographs without having to have the coach right up against the subject matter. 

Overall I am very happy with the outcome, although I may try using a bit of one of the free Railway Modeller backscene pieces as a further trial in due course.

No comments:

Post a Comment