Sunday 23 July 2023

Narrow Gauge Now

The East Midlands group of the 009 Society have run a successful series of events at Portland College near Mansfield over a number of years, at which I have exhibited both 'Shifting Sands' and 'The Old Quarry Line'. The event keeps growing and is now known as 'Narrow Gauge Now' (North of Watford!). The 2023 event on 22nd July was as good as ever with a range of layouts, ranging from a boxfile to veteran exhibition layouts, and not just in 009...

A special mention for Lockdown Park by Andrew Glover, I'm not usually a fan of whimsey but this has so much going on, including Boris Johnson. I must declare an interest here as I laid the original pizza in the middle on a bare board before selling it to Andrew, who created something beyond my imagination!


I had spotted an O9 layout listed on the event details, Welton Park by the Sleaford & District MRS. Having found nothing but a bare boards picture online I was unsure what to expect, but it was a representation of a passenger carrying 15" gauge railway. You can just see a 'Warship' in the background on passenger stock, with an MG Models Scooter and Classic diesel on yard duties in the foreground.


This group towards the front of the layout look to be suitable passing the time with a cuppa...


Building interiors are well detailed, including this workshop scene.


Despite having a bit of a clear-out recently (or even because...) I allowed myself a couple of purchases, including another set of A1 Models 'Albert' etches and a couple of 3D printed seated figures who looked suitably hunched up to be minimum gauge passengers or maybe even relaxed locomotive drivers. Expensive compared to Chinese copies of a well-known brand but cheap compared to whitemetal figures. I will try and get a picture of them in due course.

Having caught up with a few folk I've not seen for a while and seen some inspiring work, now I just need to get motivated again!

Colin









 

No comments:

Post a Comment