Sunday, 23 August 2026

Heywood Brake Van

I recently acquired a collection of Owen Ryder O9 whitemetal castings via the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association which included an almost complete set of parts for the Heywood Eaton Hall 4w brake van. The missing parts included the etched underframe and axlebox parts, the seat back and whatever was used to form the roof. 

The castings required a little fettling here and there but otherwise were not bad for something marked "1994". With the seat back made up from styrene, end rails formed from 0.7mm brass wire and holes drilled in the floor piece to accept them, the main parts are seen here ready to assemble.


But what of the running gear? I could have borrowed the etch from an un-opened Heywood wagon kit I have but that would just move the problem on. A bit of careful measurement found that an N gauge Peco 10ft wheelbase chassis would fit with a fair bit of of er, persuasion... It would need some suitable axleboxes and luckily I found some 3D prints a friend had kindly made me a few years ago for another project. They were modified to suit the Peco chassis and fixed in place with epoxy. There began a common thread in this build as I did the job twice as my original location of the parts was not quite straight. I then fixed the chassis into the cast floor and again, did this twice as things did not sit right first time. Once happy that the top of the floor was level I used Milliput to create supports for Greenwich couplers, filed flat once set. Drilling the holes turned out to be another do-it-twice job due to a useless drill bit...


As the alignment of the main body parts was not a perfect science, I decided that I would assemble the seat and both sides in one session, using slow-cure epoxy. Determined not to have to do this stage twice, I carefully checked alignment and conducted a dry run of the intended clamping operation. I really should have photographed this, it involved a set square, another square steel block and two large clamps, plus two spring clamps! The slow drying time of the adhesive allowed for minor adjustment and alignment checks and the outcome was a success.


There was a little excess adhesive but this was soon cleaned up ready for the next stages, which include the roof and deliberations on whether it should be fixed in place prior to painting. 

More soon... 

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment