Friday 4 March 2022

Conversion Potential

Having reassured myself that I was going to try and stick to O9 projects and not get distracted by 009, I have to reveal that I have bought an 009 kit this week. However, this is with good reason... I've always been a fan of Chivers Finelines kits, the mouldings are always well defined and detailed in the O-16.5 and O9 kits I've had and the 009 ones I've seen in the past. When Matt Chivers announced this week that there were two new bogie wagons released in 009, RC811 (flat ends) and RC812 (rounded ends), I took a look and immediately saw O9 potential.

The dimensions are 79mm long and 24mm wide, which in 7mm scale is approx 11 ft by 3 ft 6ins wide, which for a 15" gauge miniature railway is a reasonable size for a works wagon, possibly built on an old open coach chassis. 

This isn't a new idea - in the past I had obtained a Peco L&B bogie open with a similar aim in mind but had found that the detailing was too fine for it to work quickly and easily in O9. In these new Chivers kits the detailing is very suited to 7mm scale, again with a miniature railway eye on it father than heavy industry.


My RC812 will join the kit stockpile for future build, despite the temptation to jump straight in. I did however realise that I needed to add some suitable wheels to the stockpile too, so eBay was scoured for suitable Graham Farish ones, it is good to have then available again!

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment