Friday 31 March 2023

The March of Time

Time has flown by in the first quarter of 2023, and from a modelling perspective there has been little to report. I spent some time trying to build a photographic diorama that could fit in my square-foot lightbox but that went through several iterations without success. However it has led to a long-overdue refresh of another project, more to be revealed soon... 

The last week or so has been one of reflection, having realised I've been modelling in O9 now for 20 years! A lot has changed in that time, from there being very few products aimed at representing 15" gauge prototypes accurately to there now being a wider choice in many mediums. I like to think I've had a small part to play in that via a range of bogie coaches for the Avalon Line range. 


Sadly the news came last week that we had lost Avalon's Howard Martin. I think the first time that I met him, at a 7mm NGA Burton show, I introduced myself as "his worst customer" on the basis that I was an O9 modeller who didn't buy his products! Despite this he was always very keen to see my work in O9 and encouraged me to create masters for Steve Bennett to cast bogie coaches based on those running on 'Shifting Sands'.

Although built by Julian Andrews, Howard was of course the person I associate with the 'Avalon Brickworks' layout having seen it many times on his stand at exhibitions. This has made me take another look at my baseboard and track over the past weekend to see it that plan could perhaps be revived in some way rather than replaced. We shall see...


I'll leave you with this shot of the original layout, with Avalon Line loco and coach built to O-16.5.

Colin


No comments:

Post a Comment