Sunday 14 February 2021

The Trouble With Cloning

Following on from the theme of my previous post 'My Oh-Nine', another iteration of that thinking was seen late in 2020. I've always liked the outline of SMR no.3, a 4w diesel that has had many rebuilds over the years (seen here midway through the last one), but a loco that has a little too much overhang on the curves on the proposed layout. There is about 5mm of length beyond the ends of the Kato chassis at each end.

Frustrated by the Alan Keef project, I deduced that I needed a shorter version, and rebuilding to shorten it perhaps wasn't an option. So one Sunday back in November I started work on a new locomotive...

This draws influence from no.3 but with a few changes to make it a little different. There is perhaps also a little influence from the MG Models 'Classic' locomotive, but as they both perhaps have similar DNA that isn't a surprise.

Whilst it has got a little further since the last photo, progress stalled in December and it hasn't troubled the workbench since...

Colin





















No comments:

Post a Comment