Sunday 1 October 2017

Not Quite DA1

Over the summer I received a couple of test etches from A1 Models for new O9 kits designed to fit the Tomytec 4w chassis. The first that I have tackled is very much based on the shape of 'DA1', the ex-Bush Mills Railway diesel at the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway.


The kit is very much an 'inspired by' rather than an accurate model. There are compromises to the width of both bonnet and cab, the arrangement of grilles etc. When I first assembled everything I found that the chassis etch seemed to work against usual convention by having very wide etch lines on the outside of the fold and I wasn't too happy with how this looked.


There is just room in the cab for a suitable figure, although tall, whitemetal 1/43rd scale figures may need to reconsider their application to drive...


After discussing the chassis etch with John Flower at A1 he indicated that it was intended to be built with the fold on the inside, despite this loosing the etched axlebox detail to the inside. As he had included some spare chassis frame etches I was able to build up another inside out and apply a degree of customisation . Having built up the width of the model to a scale 3ft by adding a 10 thou styrene footplate and added new buffer beams from 20 thou styrene, I opted to cut the axleboxes off the first frame, fit them in place and add some very basic detail around them. 


Just visible is that I have also started work on some very basic cab interior detail including a driver's seat, but this may be subject to change as I may have not left quite enough space for a driver... Ooops!

More as time permits.

Colin




No comments:

Post a Comment