Saturday 11 August 2018

Low Cost Inspiration

I've always been of the belief that seaside shops selling all manner of cheap toys ought to be a source  of low cost modelling opportunities. I think this belief was instilled in me many years ago on an early trip to Cleethorpes whilst I was deep in bus modelling territory. Ironically it took me many years to actually find a usable toy bus!

Having toured numerous establishments on the Lincolnshire coast in the last week or so I have been disappointed that nothing remotely train shaped has sprung out at me. However, these days we live in an international market and before going away a member of the NGRM Online forum posted about some very cheap narrow gauge outline items available on eBay. I was curious enough to make a couple of purchases....


These models are very similar to the Del Prado series of world locomotives in N gauge, but are perhaps not quite so well detailed or proportioned. They are both slightly smaller than 009 in scale. However, they are locomotive shaped and as they come apart into component pieces offer all sorts of potential projects, such as using the Garratt boiler as a shed area piece of junk, maybe even a small 009 diesel from the Garratt cab and front bunker. There are some useful parts on the Darjeeling tank such as the headlights and I can see the bunker and cab moulding used as more shed decor for that O9 workshop scene I aim to build one day (representing 10 1/4" gauge locomotive parts).

These models cost me £6 in total for a pair of each, I'm not sure the seaside novelty shops can compete...

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment