Sunday 26 January 2020

An afternoon at Derwent Road

A trip to the Pontefract model railway exhibition gave me a change to catch up with Bill Flude and his O9 layout 'Derwent Road'. I've followed this with interest online and it certainly exceeded my expectations on this first viewing. Although not quite my own personal style of O9 modelling (it represents a 18" rather than 15" line) it is very close in some ways, with it's carefully selected stock including some 15" prototypes, and a couple of things that I can claim a hand in...

An overview of the layout.


Sitting in that back siding is a battery locomotive that I built (and painted) many years ago and the coach hiding behind the station building is a modified Avalon Line 'Exmoor' style kit.


'Kestrel' is a model of a Groudle Glen locomotive, the prototype is tiny for it's 2ft gauge line and scales well to 18" gauge on a Minitrains chassis.


Fiddle yard exits at both ends of the layout are well disguised, presentation is firmly in the 'cameo' style.



A view down the layout past the modern houses with a sand train approaching. Every loco has sound speakers and the layout itself also has a secondary sound system, which proves very atmospheric!


Finally this should prompt a 'round tuit' for me - the James Hilton/6point5 Minimum Gauge model of 'Jubilee'. Must dig my kit out!


The traders at the show provided a few useful items to assist future projects, and I certainly left feeling a little bit certain about the direction of a few future plans. Prepare for Plan C...

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment