Monday 17 April 2017

You can’t do that!

The title might be the (light hearted) reaction in some quarters to the project I hinted at over a month ago... yes, the mystery scale was 009!

As every idea to build another O9 layout has fallen flat on its face, especially anything away from my usual miniature railway themes, it makes sense for a small project to evolve that doesn’t have the pressure of expectation placed on it. By developing this in 009 I will hopefully be able to use up some items of 4mm scale material held in stock, plus be able to purchase some of the items that as a 7mm scale modeller are largely unavailable to me, such as the Wills ‘Scenic Series’ kits.


As can be seen a baseboard has been constructed, the trackwork laid, painted and ballasted, and there is good progress on the foundations of the scenery. I've never been a fan of polystyrene (and I'm still not) and this is really the first time I have used it like this. It has proved quick and relatively easy, I don't think I could have made these landforms using formers and infill in the limited time I have had available. 

Speaking of which, along the line I have to admit that there have been doubts about progressing this scheme. Although good progress was made thanks to planned time off work, outside of that time has been hard to find. On top of that I have wavered on the 009 vs O9 debate a few times (a certain person regularly asks if it is O9 yet) but I plan to complete the project as planned, if only to justify the Peco skips I received as a gift! As ‘Shifting Sands’ will need to be brought into action within the next month progress may not really make it that far too quickly…

Colin










No comments:

Post a Comment