I decided to carry out an experiment using a diorama base that I had started some time ago with the intention of displaying a Black Dog mine tub on it. A change of heart saw it abandoned and I removed the polystyrene layer (itself an experiment) from the MDF base, although I did then use it in experimentation for the layout.
Cleaned up and with the carved polystyrene stuck to mounting card I re-purposed it as a test piece.
The layers of scenery added are:
- Paint/plaster/PVA mix with a mix of brown scatters over the top.
- Patches of the Javis autumn grass mat
- Green Scene meadow grass, torn into patches, trimmed and sprayed with hairspray then ground foam sprinkled over - then glued into place
- Silfor grass tufts in two shades
- Mossy areas made using ground foam