Saturday 30 May 2020

Classic in Maroon

Outwardly it may appear that it has been quiet of late on the workbench, in reality there have been a sequence of frustrations...

My MG Models 'Classic Diesel' build contributed a few of these, not least the area that I was least happy about, the join between the bonnet and footplate. I suspect that I haven't got the bonnet sat down into the etched groove properly, and didn't help myself by trying to be too clever when gluing the painted parts into place - I had excess glue ooze under the edge. I tidied it up as best I could in the hope weathering could hide it. I tell myself that a real loco like this would most likely have a bonnet that consists of a frame bolted to the underframe, so there ought to be gap. 


Weathering took two attempts and I think I have got it about how I want it. Its maybe a little too much on the bonnet sides compared to elsewhere but I figured that area would get mucky, especially if the bonnet side flaps were opened up with grubby hands on a regular basis. And it's too late to change it...


The main effect I have been seeking is to enhance the louvres on the bonnet sides, to achieve this I washed over a dark grey, then removed a lot of it quickly to leave a deposit at the base of the louvres. When this was dry I dry-brushed a maroon colour a shade lighter than the main body colour from above - to highlight the top and edges of the louvres. The same colour was used to highlight the edges of the bonnet and cab etc.


Other areas have also been weathered, including the underframe and bufferbeams and the top of the exhaust. I have made a couple of adjustments since looking at the photos, I'm still not 100% on the model but getting there. In theory there are two remaining jobs, to add couplers, and an air horn in the hole I drilled for it in the cab front!

Colin


No comments:

Post a Comment