Thursday 21 April 2022

Tree One - Completed

The half relief tree, also known as 'Tree one' is now complete.

It was a surprise to find that I have used a whole packet of foliage on 1/2 a tree! Towards the end I was getting worried I'd run out as the edge of the foliage mat was quite thick, rubbery and unusable. However, I was able to get all the foliage in place, including additional layers where desired for both appearance and to cover any gaps

The whole tree was then given a waft of hairspray and the loose contents of the bottom of the packet of foliage were sparingly sieved over to add a final layer to the foliage. I was very careful here not to overdo it. A light coat of matt varnish was then used as extra security and to remove any hairspray shine from the trunk, branches and foliage.



I do rather like that gap through the leaves where the big branch is exposed. I may have to consider adding wildlife of some sort here, maybe a couple of birds or even a squirrel. By some unplanned act this same area is actually visible from above too.


One final addition was a run of ivy up the trunk, this uses MiniNature oak leaf foliage carefully PVA glued in place and then sprayed with matt varnish to kill any shine. I've tried to be economic with material as it isn't cheap, but also to not overdo it.


I'm rather pleased with it, I was asked by family how long it all took, and I have no idea, but somewhere between 10-20 hours would be right including the original frame creation last year. Unlike the original build that lived on a shelf in the workshop, the Mk2 version has been swiftly placed in an adapted box ready for future use.

As for 'Tree two', that may have to wait until the layout progresses and the foliage is restocked!

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment