Saturday 9 April 2022

Tree Construction Continues

I'm making progress with the half-relief tree. I've bulked up the trunk using DAS Stone modelling clay, I still need to adjust the branches and then apply bark mix all over the exposed bits of wire frame to match the existing, and also to cover the DAS.


After a couple of days to dry out I was able to mix up a brew of my bark mix and apply it to the tree where required. The mix is formed of grey tile cement, PVA glue and light brown emulsion paint, with a spot of water added during application to keep the mixture liquid enough to apply.

The mix was applied over all new main branches that had not been included in the DAS stage, these were largely wire with some Araldite on them, the mixture blending everything together. The mix was also applied to all the new minor branches, both those added to existing branches and the newer ones, including the Hornby branches incorporated in the upper part of the tree.

The mixture was then thinned again slightly to work over the DAS areas, mostly on the major branches and the trunk. Here I was able to use a stiff brush to add some texture to the bark by both dragging and stippling. It is very subtle but can just be made out here.


The next stage will be to enhance the colouring, using the existing colour as a base and subtly working up from there. I keep having to tell myself that this is going to be a background item and not to look too closely at it, but it is difficult to do that when it is right in front of you!

With this tree now progressing thoughts have been turning to how a second tree could interact with it to disguise a fiddle yard exit, but I have to remind myself to take one step at a time...

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment