On opening the box the kit is in two parts, a chassis frame and body, both cast in resin.
Both parts are relatively flash-free although there are some blow-outs in the casting of the various bolt heads. I opted to replace these with plastic rod slices as it seemed to be the quickest way of resolving the problem. At 29mm wide this is definitely a 'minimum gauge' wagon and although I had thoughts of trying to narrow it to c.25mm to match my other stock I decided to build it as it came as a 'quick' project to fill the odd spare minute or two.
It was at this stage that I realised that the chassis I had was a 10ft wheelbase one rather than the 9ft version required for the kit. Ooops.... This was easily resolved by cutting away the centre section of the chassis completely (having stripped away all the N gauge brake gear), which will also allow space for a little more weight between the sections. The Unit Models frame includes a nifty cut out for the Peco weight to sit in:
As can be seen above, I've removed a 1mm x 5mm slice from the centre of the headstock and added a piece of 1mm styrene behind it in order to accommodate a MicroTrains coupler. With the body assembled to the frame the wagon is actually complete and ready for painting (which will have to wait for warmer weather to spray the primer). I've added some wire handles/catches for the drop down door.:
More once painting is underway....