Sunday 20 May 2018

A Simplex for O9 - Driver on Duty

One of the fun things about building models that are not run-of-the-mill is that you are likely to find that there isn't a convenient driver figure to suit it. Therefore some creativity is required, and the O9 Simplex is no different.

Starting with a seated figure from a Preiser unpainted set (the man in a three piece suit from this set in painted form), I figured that his clothing could be altered with Miliput to resemble a boiler suit and that his arms and legs could be altered with some plastic surgery. The donor is a cheap Chinese copy useful for conversion parts. He's lost an arm and half a leg, the other arm of the seated figure being altered with one from my body bits box. The new foot on the pedal is a Preiser example, again from the bits box. 


Shortly after the picture was taken a hat swap took place... Whilst the original jaunty angled wide brim might have just looked OK in an estate railway context, I've gone for a workman style to cover any potential use of the loco. Again, this came from the donor figure, who now looks quite uncomfortable.

Having left the figure overnight to set I cracked open the Milliput and filled the gaps in the construction. Having sanded a few areas smooth I then added new collar detail using Typex to what used to be his waist jacket to give the effect of the overall's collar. I think once it is painted it will look OK, it is quite subtle and partly hidden by the light in this shot.

Whilst the Milliput was out I added a new knob to the controls where I had broken the original. I am now getting dangerously close to having to get back in the paintshop...

Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment